Saturday, June 17, 2006

So, you like movies?

Some reviews of the movies that I watched (all with Jelson) lately...

Mission Impossible 3 (May 2006)
Jelson and I are big Alias fans (well, admittedly, Jelson is more of the fan because of Jennifer Garner) and since this film is from the director of the said series, it wasn't a wonder that the movie was likely to have the same "look". It was like watching Alias, only this time, Tom Cruise was there. I was honestly waiting for a cameo of Sydney and Vaughn (no, they did not appear). Everything about the movie has Alias written all over it. They had their own version of Marshal (yeah, the techie guy), typewriter style of showing which part of the world they'd be kicking ass, and of course, you can't miss out misleading scenes and expecting who among your ally will be the traitor. Overall, it's still one of those great movies that I watched 2 times in one week.

The Da Vinci Code (May 2006)
I am probably one of the few people who have not finished the book and still watched the movie. I have to hand it to Dan Brown for coming up with a fiction like this. It's a great story, exciting and thought provoking. The controversy that filled this movie made me think otherwise of what was being claimed to have it banned. Anyway, I am still glad to have watched it. There were a few alterations from the book (which probably couldn't be helped) but the greatest part of the movie was seemingly touring The Lourve and the treasures it holds inside on the big screen.


X-Men: The Last Stand (May 2006)
This is quite special to us because this is a first of many (Jelson and I watched this with Ate Jeng and Kuya Al). First time we watched out of the country (we watched it at Singapore), sat on Oscar chairs (which is uberly comfortable by the way), and we watched it at 1:10 am. I didn't get to watch X-Men 2 so I had to ask so many questions prior to and while watching the movie (thankfully, Jelson wasn't pissed). I am a comic book fan, but of Spiderman that is, still I appreciate movies that are adapted from comics. X3 is exciting to watch. I held my breath several times. But honestly, did they have to kill Cyclops senselessly? And poor Angel had to be in what, only four frames? Yes, watch it again and count 'em all with your five fingers. The title is so fitting, because in the end, the only X-men member standing was Wolverine (and we don't need to bother and think why).

CARS (June 2006)
Yes, life is like a highway. Cars is the last movie produced by Pixar before they were bought by Disney (insert your reaction of "ahhhh" with a little nod of the head and now understanding why you have seen The Incredibles, Monster's Inc. premier at Disney Channel). Anyway, the movie has an amazing graphic detail. Everything seemed real and seamless. Humility, as always, was the theme of the movie. Lightning (the red car who flashes his sides and exclaims "Ka-chow") reminded me of someone who used to aspire for big things and thus work hard for it that she completely forgot to take into consideration the whole picture. I enjoyed the movie because it leaves you feeling good after seeing the movie credits. This is great to watch with kids and even the kids at heart.

The Lakehouse (June 2006)
I am a fan of Asian series and movies for over 3 years now. When I learned that Hollywood would be doing their own version of one of the well-loved movies of Korea, I was expecting not to like. Most of the time it ends up falling short of your expectations (just like The Ring, The Grudge etc.). But, this movie is so different. The Lakehouse, a re-make of Ji Hyeon's Il Mare, is unbelievably going to make you fall in love. Not only did I remember how much I liked the chemisty of Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves on screen, but I was reminded again how it feels to fall in love like it's your first time. By the end of the movie, I was biting my lip constraining myself from the kilig feeling that it left me. Oh, and much to my wish of being in the company of appreciative audience, I did, too much in fact that during the finale, people at Gateway Cinema 5 were hooting and clapping their hands...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun watching MI3 while comparing it to alias at the same time.
If I haven't read the book, I'd be half-wondering why The DaVinci code was entitled as such.
Why did bryan singer have to leave x-men 3 for superman?!!? now i know. It's for the greater good of mankind.
Cars was a tear-jerker for me.
The Lake House is probably one of the best adaptations I've seen. Kahit na chinop-chop nila yung original, I have no complaints...Honestly!!
Hya, it was fun reading your reviews. I can almost hear your voice coming out of my speakers! (I know. How annoying...=P)

The Game said...

nice reviews here, puwede nang pang-broadsheet. : )

Hya Bibit- Capilos said...

ingrid: yeah, bad example ang moments... buti na lang you made it clear that you watched it because of dingdong...

pressure ang bagong entry... im still doing the superman returns review...

king of kings: di naman masyado but i like your entry about MI3... it's a new you :)

Amy Uy said...

Hi Hya -- super coolness! Still trying my bestest to upload the pics for my blog on Lakehouse that's really just for you! Thanks for the link and will also be linking yours to mine :-) Z ya!

The Game said...

whaddaya mean an new me, love? love you. : ) btw, you really have to be a mag or newspaper contributor. don't waste your talent.