Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ni Hao. Annyeonghaseyo. Konichiwa. Mabuhay!
(Asian dramas galore minus the legacy of Jackie Chan's drunken master)

I remember that the only time that I watched a show that I couldn't comprehend was Pinpin--- a children's show who tried to put up a fight with Pong paggong and the gang, however catering to a quarter of Philippines' population, the Tsinoys. I wasn't really big with shows that gives language barrier a big thrust. I just felt, at that time, that Filipino and US shows were enough to satisfy my viewing pleasure.

I started watching Asian series in 2003, because like most people here who got fascinated with Meteor Garden (oh good Lord i have them all, even the spin offs), it showcased something new and different from what we usually see. After having watched the series more than what is usually perceived as normal, it was then that the company that I am working for now showed the very first Korean drama on Philippine primetime, Autumn in my Heart or Endless Love1. This was followed by more series from Korea that are worth of the time and energy of doing both reading the English subtitle and watching the facial expressions of the actors. After exhausting the K-dramas in the market, I also chanced upon J-doramas or the Japanese dramas and found the plots very intelligent, short, and straight to the point (the usual length is 9-12 episodes per series). As the years passed by, I found myself more inclined to watching these series rather than those locally produced (as to why I have worked for over 2 years with the leading local network, let's not go there).

I also have my share of favorite Asian movies. The first Asian movie that I watched and loved was the Korean movie, My Sassy Girl. It was the most hilarious film I have ever seen. The leads were just amazingly good at acting weird and crazy. I seriously suggest that if you haven't tried any Asian movie, this should be your first.

To simply put it, I see more of reality's ironies in those dramas that I have come to love. People like to laugh and have a good cry sometimes and they offer just that.

No comments: